AIM Mail Login – Sign in – A service launched in 2005 by AOL(America Online), like all mailing software and application. Its main aim is to send messages using mail addresses i.e [email protected] and the internet.
AOL mail is a powerhouse mailing system dated far back as 1993, although not so popular now with the likes of yahoo mail and Gmail taking it’s place, who started the testing for the AIM mail as of 2014 in which customers don’t need to subscribe to AOL to enjoy the AIM mail services. AIM mail is probably one of the first instant messaging/chat applications or software.
AOL used technology from MailBlocks (A technology company they acquired) and Netscape Mail to develop the services of AIM mails, in 2015 was purchased by Verizon and kept developing.
AIM was an instant messaging software designed by AOL to make messaging easier and faster without being connected to AOL mail services. It was becoming quite popular with users until December 15, 2017, when the software was shut down.
Why Did AOL Shut Down it’s Instant Messaging software
On October 6th, 2017, AOL announced that their instant messenger service will be shut down on December 15th, 2017 and AIM will no longer be effective as of 17th December 2017.
Although the mailing servers would still be at work meaning mail addresses will be very functional but the messenger’s servers will be shut down.
They gave reasons concerning the decision stating that they would like to focus more on the future by creating new innovative experiences for users, “we’re more excited than ever to focus on building the next generation of iconic brands and life-changing products”.
While giving their reasons the company consoled AIM loyal users by reminiscing with them about the unique moments they shared with the instant messaging software.
This does not prevent users from using the or AOL mail services. AOL uses IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol), POP, SMTP, HTTPS and so on.
AIM Mail Login Using IMAP and POP
In his article I will only be talking about how to log-in your AIM mail using IMAP and POP;
- Make sure your email program can access IMAP, I.e IOS Mail, Windows Mail, Mozilla, Thunderbird, OS X Mail and so on.
- Enter imap.aol.com for the IMAP server and pop.aol.com for the POP server. (they are both incoming mail server).
- Enter your AOL email address to log in, either for IMAP or POP.
- Enter your password.
- Select yes for POP or IMAP protocol required.
- Type in 993 and 995 for the IMAP and POP port respectively.
- Enter smtp.aol.com for both IMAP and POP protocol (outgoing mail server).
- The SMTP port code is 465 for both protocols.