How to Close a Facebook Account – To close a Facebook account can be tricky. Facebook has been notorious for collecting, storing, and selling user data. Whether you want to take a small break or delete your Facebook account completely, here’s how to do so.
What’s the Difference Between Deactivation and Deletion?
There are basically two ways for you to remove your presence from Facebook. You can close your account temporarily (deactivation) or close it permanently (deletion).
Closing your Facebook account temporarily (deactivation) is useful when you want to lay low for a while with the ability to make a comeback online without having to set up a whole new account.
While deactivated, no one can see your profile, but your name may still show up on your friend’s lists. In addition, you can still use Facebook Messenger while your account is temporarily closed, which allows you to stay somehow connected.
Deleting your account is a permanent way of closing your Facebook account. When you choose this option, you won’t be able to reactivate your account. Everything associated with your account will be wiped out forever.
Some data, such as messages you have sent friends, will still be visible to them after you close your account.
How to Temporarily Close Your Facebook Account
If you are not set to close your Facebook account permanently but want to take a break from social media, you can temporarily close (deactivate) your account.
- Open up the Facebook on your computer, click the downward-facing arrow at the top right corner of the screen, and then select “Settings” from the list.
- Next, from the pane on the left, click “Your Facebook Information” and then select “Deactivation and Deletion” from the list of options.
- Select the button next to “Deactivate Account” and then click the “Continue to Account Deactivation” button to proceed.
- On the next page, you have to provide a reason for leaving Facebook. Choose from the list of options, give further explanation—if necessary—opt-out of future emails, and select whether to keep using Messenger. After filling out this form, click the “Deactivate” button.
- One last warning will appear. Read the message and click “Deactivate Now” when you’re ready to continue.
That’s it. Facebook will sign you out and will return you to the “Log into Facebook” page.
When you’re ready to reactivate your account, all you have to do is sign back into Facebook.
How to Permanently Delete Your Facebook Account
Before you go ahead and close your Facebook account, you may want to download a copy of your information. Facebook has a tool to help you download all your data in one manageable ZIP file.
You can download your information from the “Your Facebook Information” page in Settings.
- Open up your browser and go to Facebook Settings page. Click on “Your Facebook Information” and then select the “Deactivation and Deletion” option from the list of settings available.
- Tick the box next to “Permanently Delete Account” and then click “Continue to Account Deletion” when you’re ready to proceed.
- At this point, Facebook will warn you of the implications that goes with permanently closing your account.
- Back up any of the data you want to save and, if you’re ready, click on the “Delete Account” button.
- One last security step, you have to enter your password before you can close your account. Click on “Continue.”
- Click the “Delete Account” button to proceed.
That’s it. Facebook will sign you out and return you to the “Log into Facebook” page.
Even though you have chosen to close your account permanently, there is still a 30-day grace period to reactivate your account. Facebook does this in case you have a change of mind.
Just in case you change your mind to want to keep your account, just login back into Facebook and your account will be restored.
More Create Posts:
- How to close a Facebook Business page
- How close Amazon Seller Account
- How To Close Shopify Account
- How To close Capital One Account
- How to close TD Bank Account online
- Facebook Marketing Place community
- Free Facebook Login Account
- Facebook Dating App
- How to Change Shopify Name