Facebook Security Settings – Use Facebook Security Settings to keep your account safe from unwanted visitors and hacks. Facebook Security Settings is a measure by Facebook to help users safeguard their account and stay safe on the Facebook platform.
Where Is Facebook Security Settings?
- Visit your “Security Settings” by tapping at the top-right corner of Facebook and tap “Settings > Security”.
- Then tap on the “Setting” you’d love to update from the options on the left sidebar.
How to Change Facebook Security Settings
To change Facebook security settings;
- Start by clicking at the top right of any Facebook page, and choose “Settings”
- Then, in the left column, tap on “Timeline and Tagging”
- Next, look for the setting “Who can see posts you’ve been tagged in on your Timeline?”
- Finally, click on “Edit” to the far right.
Facebook, offers some privacy settings, from which you can easily control and keep tabs of your status and access your private details.
How to Reset Facebook Security Setting
- Use the “Followers” button to turn following on or off, to enable non-friends to see your public content.
- Choose the “Apps” button to reset your preferences for applications you and other Facebook members use.
- Tap “Edit” links to change “Settings” for individual apps or tap the “X” to get the app removed entirely.
Facebook Security Privacy Settings
Password reset, grants you the access to set a strong password for your Facebook account. To do this;
- Navigate to the “Settings” menu, which is the drop-down menu from the downward-pointing arrow, at top right corner.
- Then, in the left column, click on “Security and login”, and click on the option marked, “Edit”, to the right of “Change Password”
- Enter your recent password, to let Facebook know that you are making a change
- Enter your new password, by choosing a combination of capital letters and numbers. It is best not to use the same password for your email, Internet banking or shopping accounts.
With Limit access, you can limit who sees your Facebook posts and personal details . Do this by,
- Tapping on the downwards facing arrow at the top right hand corner, and click on “Settings”
- On posts, ensure it is only restricted to “Friends” and click on “Next”.
- Check also on which Apps people can see, and what profile detail is public, and ensure your personal detail, is set to “Only Me”, click on “Finish”
- On the other hand, you can tap on the downwards arrow, at the top right hand corner, and click on “Settings”. Click on “Privacy” in the left hand column and under “Your Activity” search for “who can see my future posts”, it should read “Friends”, change if it doesn’t. If it reads “Public”, it means everything you post, is shared with the entire internet.
- To gain extra control, you are to choose “More Options”, and select “More”, from the dropdown and then “Specific friends”. With this, you specify individuals you don’t want to share your Facebook posts with.
If you want to tag people in a post to intimate them that you’ve posted something related to them,
- Click on their face, and fill out their name into the text field that is displayed. If your tagging in a standard post, click the person icon, and enter their name.
To remove tags;
- Click on the photo and click on “Options” at the end of the page, thereafter, “Remove Tag”. This, will enable you untag yourself.
To review posts,
- Navigate to the “Settings” menu, and click on “Timeline and Tagging” in the left column.
- Beneath “Review and Review posts that you’re tagged in before the posts appear on your timeline?” click on the “Edit” button and click on “Enabled”
Once you enable this option, you’ll see everything you’re tagged in before it goes live on your timeline, and you can decide if or not to let it.
Search Engines & Likes
Search engines, can be used to link your timeline in search results. To do this;
- Navigate to “Settings” (thru the down facing arrow, at the top right hand corner) and click on “Privacy”
- Beneath the “Who can look me up” option, you’ll see “Do you want other search engines to link to your Timeline”?
- Click on “Edit”, and “No”, to disable it. From here, you can also choose who sees your email address and phone too – the default setting, is set to everyone, so you can limit it to just friends.
Some mobile apps, may request permission to your Facebook account, they include Spotify, Xbox Live and the Facebook app etc. It is best to find out what personal information they can access. To do this by
- Clicking on the downward arrow menu, and click on “Settings”, then “Apps” from the left menu
- You will see a list of the apps you use, displayed, click one to find out what information it uses. Untick anything you’re not comfortable with.
- Some apps, won’t grant you access to untick everything, if this is the case then consider removing the app totally, by hovering over the name, until a cross pops up. Click on the cross, and confirm that you want to get rid of it, by tapping the blue “Remove” tab.
Facebook Security Settings gives you all you need to safeguard your account.