Facebook Account Hacked – Facebook security problems have become a rather sensitive issue over the years, with various complaints from users about account hacking and losing their accounts to total stranger.
Facebook security has tightened up, however, users still have parts to play. Account hacking is not a new phenomenon on Facebook, in fact, it has become quite popular over the years which leaves most users skeptical about using the platform.
Facebook account hacking can lead to loss of Facebook account and gives total strangers access to your account. Facebook account hacked doesn’t just mean losing access to friends, Facebook posts, it can go a long way to ruin your reputation when hackers start posting obscene contents which friends may believe you are posting.
This means your Facebook account is no longer in your control, and you need to take some serious steps to gain total control over your account.
How To Know When Your Account Has Been Hacked
There are certain activities that take place on your Facebook which you are not aware of that may alert you of account hacking, these activities may include:
- When your email or password have been changed which would make it difficult for you to log in to your account using your Facebook login details
- Your name and some important profile details have been changed
- When some posts you didn’t create have been posted on your timeline this means your account has been hacked
- When friend requests have been sent to people you don’t know or didn’t send to by yourself
- Messages you didn’t send have been sent out from your Facebook account
When you see these signs, it is important you do something quickly if you wish to regain access to your account.
How To Recover Facebook Hacked Account
The first step to take once you notice that your account has been hacked is changing your facebook password. However, if your problem is beyond this then you need to follow these steps:
- Go to Facebook’s REPORT COMPROMISED ACCOUNT page
- Click MY ACCOUNT IS COMPROMISED
- Then type in the email address or phone number linked to your hacked account and click SEARCH
- Enter your old password or current one and click CONTINUE
- Then you have choose one option from the list of options indicating why you think your account has been hacked and click CONTINUE
- A Facebook prompt will appear explaining how they would help you with steps for changing your password and also makes sure that any recent changes on your account came from you. Then click GET STARTED to begin the process.
- Then follow the directions provided by Facebook to secure your account and change your password.
How To Protect Account Against Hacking
You can help prevent your account from getting into the hands of hackers. You need to pay attention to these important security tips for your Facebook account. To prevent account from being hacked, follow these steps:
- You can use Facebook security check up feature to keep your account secured, you can use it log out your Facebook form unknown or unused browsers and apps.
- Facebook security checkup feature alerts you when your account has been logged in from an unknown device or source.
- You can also protect your account against hackers by changing the password from time to time, to change password you can simply navigate to SETTINGS on the Facebook menu. Then click on SECURITY AND LOGIN, click EDIT next to change password in the login section and add the new password you want. Then you can confirm new password by typing it in the RE-TYPE NEW text box. Then finally click SAVE CHANGES, and your new password is set.
- Avoid clicking on strange links they maybe tools for hacking
- Avoid using the remember password feature on computer and only log in in trusted computers and mobile devices.
- Activate the two-factor authentication; this feature requires you to enter specific codes known to you when you log in to your Facebook through an unknown browser.
- Block people that seem suspicious and don’t accept requests from people you don’t know.
- You have to be careful with the kind of personal information you share on your timeline and the level of privacy your posts have, you can choose who gets to see your post and who doesn’t.
- Choose trusted contacts that can help you regain access account to your account when you have trouble doing so. You can simply click EDIT next to TRUSTED CONTACTS, add names of friends that you trust by clicking the CHOOSE TRUSTED CONTACTS, enter friends’ names and confirm.
- Log out from Facebook when you are not using your own device or a trusted device.
You just have to be extremely careful on what you do with your account and protect it at all cost if you don’t wish it susceptible to hacking. With the numerous cases of Facebook account hacking, Facebook security has been improved but you have a part to play if you want to keep your account secured.
It is in your hands to keep your account secured, you can follow these security tips we have shown you, set up privacy settings and prevent your account from being hacked.