Western Union, with agents all over the world, is a money and message transfer service located in the United States. Via the corporate headquarters of Western Union, anyone interested in becoming a new agent must apply and be approved. Learning how to become an agent of the Western Union will help create a profitable opportunity for your business.
How To Be A Western Union Agent
Eligibility for Western union agent
- A prospective Western Union agent must own a separate retail business of its own, which is then considered eligible to become a qualified Western Union location. Some of the most popular retail companies to become agents of Western Union include, but are not limited to:
A prospective Western Union agent must own a separate retail business of its own, which is then considered eligible to become a qualified Western Union location. Some of the most popular retail companies to become agents of Western Union include, but are not limited to:
- grocery stores
- Drug shops
- Suppliers of financial services
- liquor stores
- Travel agents
- In order to conduct financial transactions, every Western Union agent must have certain basic office equipment and internet access. For Western Union transactions, the equipment usually needed includes:
- a working computer
- a reliable internet connection
- A functional printer (though not all locations require a printer at the business site – speak with a Western Union representative to determine whether your location needs one)
- You may be eligible to become a Western Union agent if you meet all of the business criteria. You’ll need to complete an online application to validate your eligibility, which will then be reviewed by Western Union.
If you have any concerns about the application process, you can also contact Western Union’s customer service line. For the following pieces of knowledge, the application asks:
- Confirmation that you own your own company
- Confirmation that a functioning computer with a secure internet connection is available
- Your name and personal contact details (phone number and email address)
- The name, address, and work number for your company
- The essence of your organization (by type/category)
- The number of places your business operates
- How you learned about being an agent for Western Union
Working as an Agent
- Agent Portal is the online resource of Western Union for agents worldwide. Enrolling in the Agent Portal is easy, and being enrolled makes it easier for you to order supplies, access information on training and fraud prevention, report your money transfers, and access customer service support.
- To enroll, simply visit https://agentportal.westernunion.com/ap/custregister.do on the Western Union Agent Portal website. Then fill in your name, contact details, account number for the agent and operator ID number.
- Western Union will pay you as their agent a commission on every transfer fee that is processed from each transaction your business receives or send. The more money you get for Western Union at your business, the more commissions you make.
- Your role as a Western Union agent gives you a competitive edge over other businesses who offer the same services and good that you do, as your store becomes more of a one-stop-shop.
- You get to gain access to training and customer service support 24/7.