Facebook Scholarship or Facebook fellowship program as it is also called is aimed to support, encourage doctoral students who are engaged in innovative and relevant research in areas related to computer science and engineering at an accredited university.
This scholarship program is usually open to students in any year of their PhD study. This program also supports students from minority groups, race. Applications are evaluated based on the strength of the student’s research, publication record and recommendation letter.
Who Is Eligible For Facebook Scholarship?
Applicants for the Facebook scholarship must be full-time Ph.D. students currently involved in ongoing research. They must be enrolled in an accredited university in any country. It is compulsory that the research of the students be related to significant disciplines. Students must be enrolled during the academic year(s) the fellowship is awarded.
Awards And Rewards
Winners of the fellowship are entitled to receive two years of tuition and fees paid for the academic year, a stipend of $37,000 each year and up to $5,000 in conference and travel. Paid visit to Facebook headquarters to the annual fellowship summit.
What Must be in My Application?
Along with your application, you must submit 250-word research summary which must clearly detail and underline the area of focus, importance to the field and applicability to Facebook Scholarship. Also, submit your curriculum vitae with email, phone and mailing address and applicable coursework noted. Include two letters of recommendation, ensure that one reference must be from an academic advisor.
What Are The Research Areas For Facebook Scholarship Program?
To win a Facebook scholarship, your research should align under the following subjects:
- Applied statistics: Facebook sponsors students who are working on novel techniques in statistical modeling and inference. Areas include inference in high dimensional, graphical models, sparsity and compressed sensing, pattern recognition, graph partitioning, etc. Applications of interest include user modeling, experimentation, detecting violations, surveys or efficient sampling.
- AR/VR Photonics and optics: Facebook supports a student that is passionate about developing technology in photonics and optics that can be applied to VR and AR visual systems. Topics include functional planar optical elements, optical and photonic imaging devices, highly efficient light sources.
- Computer graphics: Facebook supports students who are excited about advancing the state of the art in computer graphics and efficient real-time rendering for augmented and virtual reality. Topics under this category include applications of machine learning methods, image and video compression, high-quality avatars e.t.c
- Computational social sciences: Facebook supports students who are working on advancing research in the social sciences with computational approaches. Topics of interest include norms and trust, algorithmic fairness and basic correction, location-aware social networks and mobility, computer-mediated communication in dyads and groups amongst others.
- Computer vision: Facebook supports students who are working on advancing the state of the art in computer vision and topics of interest include visual reasoning, vision, and language, video recognition e.t.c
- Distributed systems: Facebook supports students working on a broad set of topics related to all kinds of distributed systems including fault tolerance, scale, performance e.t.c
More Research Areas To Qualify For the Program
- Economics and computation: Facebook supports students who are passionate about using mathematical and computational tools from the areas of game theory, optimization, operations management, and econometrics.
- Hardware and software infrastructure for machine learning: Facebook accepts applications from students working on interdisciplinary research to support machine learning at scale.
- Machine learning: Facebook supports students who are working on advancing the state of the art in machine learning.
- Natural language processing: Facebook welcomes application from students with a topic of interest that include machine translation, text classification, dialog systems.
- Networking and connectivity: Facebook supports students active in the development and research of scalable, efficient systems across all areas of networking.
- Programming languages: Applications are welcome from students who are interested in the design and implementation of programming languages and related tools.
- Security/privacy: Facebook supports students with established proficiency in the field and passion for solving complex security challenges.
- Spoken language processing and audio classification: Facebook likes to support students working in advancing the state of art in human-computer interaction, speech and audio processing, human-human interaction and video content understanding.
- UX/Instagram well-being: This involves working on understanding how online communities and technology use, play a role in well-being. The research includes emotional effect, mental health, social support e.t.c